Red Fawn, Dion and Little Feather are in prison awaiting trial or sentencing and would appreciate letters from supporters. Rattler is out on supervised release and awaiting sentencing under an agreement that will recommend 36 months incarceration.
Red Fawn Fallis
Red Fawn Fallis Heart of America Correctional Center 110 Industrial Road, Rugby, ND 58368 Red Fawn has been moved to Rugby, ND as she awaits sentencing. A motion to release her to a halfway house was denied on February 2. Sentencing is set for May 31, 2018 at 09:00 AM in Bismarck. Legal information is on her case page here, and more information on Red Fawn and how you can support her is on her website here.
Dion Ortiz #48266 Sandoval County Detention Center 1100 Montoya Road Bernalillo, NM 87004 You can also deposit funds directly onto Dion's prison commissary account. See instructions here. December 7, 2017 update: Dion's request to be released to a halfway house has been granted! He is still incarcerated in Bernalillo awaiting a space to become available. Please continue to write to him and contribute funds to his commissary. We will update this page with his new address as soon as he's moved.
Michael “Little Feather” Giron Heart of America Correction Center 110 Industrial Road Rugby, ND 58368 Little Feather has entered into a non-cooperating plea agreement that includes a joint recommendation of 36 months in prison. He remains incarcerated awaiting sentencing. His sentencing date is May 29, 2018 at 1:30 PM in Bismarck federal court. Legal information is on his case page here, and more information about Little Feather and how you can support him is on his website here. You can also deposit funds directly onto his prison commissary account. See instructions here.
Michael “Rattler” Markus
Rattler has entered into a non-cooperating plea agreement that includes a joint recommendation of 36 months in prison. He remains out on supervised release awaiting sentencing. His sentencing date is May 29, 2018 at 11:00 AM in Bismarck federal court. Legal information is on his case page here, and more information about Rattler and how you can support him is on his support committee page here. Supporters can make a financial contribution directly to Rattler here.
ND State Charges:
Alexander Simon (pictured center) and Mary Redway (center-right) were the first two Water Protectors sentenced to jail time.
Both have now served their jail time and have been released. Simon served 12 days and Redway served four days.
More information on Mary and Alex is here.
Resources for Prisoner Support:
Writing letters to prisoners is an important form of solidarity. A few things to keep in mind:
- Do not ask any questions or share any information about the facts of the prisoners case, or events surrounding their arrest.
- Remember that prison officials read all mail, so don’t say anything you would not want to say directly to them.
- Do not send photos without asking first (sometimes prisoners have a maximum number of photos they are allowed to have) – but you can write your letter on the back of a flyer or image printed onto regular paper.
- Do not make any promises that you may not be able to keep (including about writing again).
- Be sure to include your name and return address – in the letter itself as well as on the outside of the envelope (prisoners often do not receive the envelopes).
- It’s a good idea to add page numbers to the bottom of your letter (so if a page is missing, they can tell).
NYC Anarchist Black Cross has more useful tips on writing letters to political prisoners here.
The Tilted Scales Collective publishes the Tilted Guide to Being a Defendant, which includes helpful information for anyone organizing a support committee or providing other support to a political prisoner. For a free zine or to order the book, visit their website here.